*updated June 7th 2022 – 4 min. read
Portugal is currently open to visitors. At this moment, essential and non-essential businesses are open! If you are wondering about the latest travel restrictions or if you can travel to Portugal right now, please read through.
Portugal Flight Restrictions: Travel rules to and from mainland Portugal
Entry into Portugal by land, air ad sea is authorized, for essential and non-essential travel, regardless of the origin of the passengers.
Tests or Recovery Certificate
All passengers (above twelve years old) arriving in Portugal, must present one of the results below:
- Valid vaccination EU digital covid Certificate (with complete vaccination or complete vaccination plus booster)
- Negative RT-PCR or similar done within 72 hours before departure.
- A negative Rapid Antigen Test done up to 48 hours before boarding time. Rapid Antigen Tests (TRAg) must be recognized by the European Union Health Committee. You can find the list here, starting on page seven.
- A valid test or recovery EU Digital Certificate.
- A valid recovery certificate issued by a third country (subject to reciprocity).
Travel to and from Madeira and Azores
No restrictions are in place to travel to Madeira. It is recommended to register for the Madeira Safe website and upload any symptoms.
When flying to the Azores on international flights, you should have a negative RT-PCR test done at least 72 before your flight, or a vaccination certificate. If you do not have a test done, you will be requested to do it at the airport.
It is also allowed to enter Azores with a recovery certificate. You can find information for the Azores here(opens in a new tab).
Measures in mainland Portugal
You should pay special attention to current restrictions, such as:
- Mandatory to wear a face mask in public transportation – taxis, bus, Uber, train, metro
- You should maintain a physical distance from others
- Shops have normal schedules
- Public transportations are operating with normal capacity
- Bars and nightclubs are open
Travel insurance available
Visitors planning their holidays to Portugal can now subscribe to Portugal Travel Insurance. This travel insurance is adapted to the new pandemic reality caused by COVID-19. Coverage extends to the entire national territory and covers medical, surgical, pharmaceutical, and hospital expenses associated with COVID -19, as well as expenditures for cancellation, interruption, or extension of the trip, also by the same pandemic.
The objective is to guarantee that visitors can travel around the country, safe and with confidence. You can learn more about this here(opens in a new tab).
You also have the option to download the Portugal Health Passport(opens in a new tab), which gives you access to a special offer from private healthcare providers in the country in case you need healthcare services during your stay.
This article is a translation from the official Portuguese official communications.
Please note this article is informational, and you should ALWAYS check official sources such as your Embassy & Airline company.
We hope this article was able to help you, but if you have any questions, we are happy to help. Just send us an email, and we will clarify the current situation.
Are you planning a trip to Lisbon? Check out our Complete Lisbon Travel Guide(opens in a new tab) for the best tips and recommendations!